I REP KC!!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Finally! A place for Artists, DeeJays, Managers, Designers, etc. To Network!!

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

VOTE IREPKC RADIO FOR WEEK 4
CLICK HERE
Navigation
 Portal
 Home
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
iREPKC on Twitter
Latest topics
» New Nigga on the Turf
COPYRIGHTING MUSIC EmptySun Apr 25, 2010 4:36 pm by 573Nigga

» Any good, slightly-older World War 2 or Sci Fi computer games?
COPYRIGHTING MUSIC EmptySun Apr 11, 2010 8:19 am by JashimChando

» Can you recommend some good Sci-Fi games for me?
COPYRIGHTING MUSIC EmptySun Apr 11, 2010 8:19 am by JashimChando

» Any underground artists looking for promotion or a dj?
COPYRIGHTING MUSIC EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 11:28 am by youngfatha

» whats up with the NEW RADIO LIST please!!!
COPYRIGHTING MUSIC EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 5:41 pm by GETMONEYCLICK

» LA France "Flavor" feat. Bayno & Petey Sensay new VIDEO!
COPYRIGHTING MUSIC EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 4:44 am by LA France

» Die Hard Ent Presents
COPYRIGHTING MUSIC EmptyThu Feb 18, 2010 11:56 am by Young Sixx

» Why do you Rap???? [rappers answer]
COPYRIGHTING MUSIC EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 5:41 pm by JayK

» JAY-K ; I GOT BEATS , VERSES , WHATEVER WHAT UP ??? x )`
COPYRIGHTING MUSIC EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 5:18 pm by JayK

Advertise!!
Photobucket

COPYRIGHTING MUSIC

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
IREPKC
Admin
IREPKC

COPYRIGHTING MUSIC Empty
PostSubject: COPYRIGHTING MUSIC   COPYRIGHTING MUSIC EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 2:39 am

How To Copyright Music, Beats, and Songs

COPYRIGHTS

The most important step to protect your music, beats and intellectual property rights, will be making sure that you have registered your music with the Copyright Office

Introduction

The Copyright section of Music Powers has been put together to give you a basic understanding, along with the steps you should take to protect your music creations. Not having suitable registered proof that you are the owner of your creation may cause you to lose certain rights that come with registering your works with the Copyright Office. Copyright Office Registration, and getting the rights that come with it is not to be done with the “poor-man’s copyright; mailing a copy back to yourself, or any other nonsense, if you plan on having the backing of the US Congress set of laws and regulations regarding infringement and legislative pay support for music you own the rights to for licensing, etc. So read this segment of Music Powers, and follow the simple steps to protect yourself. Also, I have decided to provide a little bit of information for those of you who may be interested in knowing when to use certain Copyright Forms.

By Definition, What is A Copyright?

A Copyright is the exclusive right, granted by law for a stated period, usually until 70 years after the death of the surviving author of the work, to make, dispose of, and otherwise control copies of literary, musical, dramatic, pictorial and other copyrightable works. The exclusive right is set forth in the 1976 Copyright Act Section 106.

Now, the law says that Copyright is secured automatically when the work is created, and a work is "created" when it is fixed in a copy, and that your music actually has a legitimate copyright as soon as you can get your song or music “fixed” into a tangible format of expression. This just means that you either need to get your song recorded into some type of recorder, or get it written down or logged into some type of records file. But to truly protect yourself, along with some very great advantages and benefits that are backed by the US Government, it’s best to register your music with the Copyright Office.

By registering your music with the Copyright Office, you will not only have a better record of proof that you are the owner of the music, but you will also get certain rights when it comes to lawsuits, and benefits for you if you must make a claim for copyright infringement… just incase someone uses your music without your permission or the right to do so.

How to register your song or beats

To register your song with the Copyright office, do the following:

1. Send a request for a form SR or PA application to the Copyright Office, Library of Congress, 101 Independence Avenue, S E., Washington, D.C. 20559-6000 or download the application from the website: www.copyright.gov

Note: To order an application by telephone, call (202) 707-9100.

2. When the application is completed (properly), send it back to the Copyright Office with:

(a) If unpublished - One copy of manuscript, lead sheet OR sound recording of the best edition…or

(b) If published - Two copies of manuscript (sheet music) OR a sound recording of the best edition…and

(c) The appropriate non-refundable registration fee, which is presently $45, by money order, bank draft or check, made payable to Register of Copyrights. (SEE CURRENT FEES)

COPYRIGHTING MUSIC Copyright1-inv

Now, the wait time for application processing, and getting you your certificate back in the mail is kind of long (about 5 to 6 months), but your song is actually registered as soon as the Copyright Office gets your package (if everything is correct in the package; the application, and the fee).

New! Registration with Electronic Copyright Office (eCO)

The Copyright Office has now put in a new program that allows you to complete the copyright application online.

There are also a few advantages to this new process; a lower filing fee of $35 for a basic claim, a faster processing time, online tracking, ability to upload, and payments can be made using a credit card or debit card. For more visit the US Copyright office on the web.

Form PA, Form SR - SO, WHICH ONE?

FORM PA: For published and unpublished works of the performing arts (musical works and dramatic works, pantomimes and choreographic works, motion pictures and other audiovisual works), use Form PA (Performing Arts). Musical compositions that are recorded on disc or cassettes are works of the performing arts, and should be registered with Form PA.

COPYRIGHTING MUSIC Copyright2-inv

For Example: Let’s say a writer, “Big-Producer-Mayne” writes a song (words and music) called "Bounce it Baby Girl.” Although he may have recorded it, if he is only interested in registering the song work (the underlying or musical composition), but not the actual recording, Form PA should be used.

FORM SR: For published or unpublished sound recordings, use form SR (Sound Recordings). But please sticky this: Registration for a sound recording alone is NOT the same as registration for musical, dramatic, or a literary work that has been recorded. Form SR is used for registration of the particular sounds or a particular recorded performance.

COPYRIGHTING MUSIC Copy3-inv

Form SR should also be used if you wish to make one registration for both the sound recording and the original work (musical composition). You may make a single registration using form SR only if the copyright claimant is the same for both the sound recording and the musical composition.

ยท The bottom line is that Copyrights in sound recordings are to be registered on Copyright Form SR.

For Example: Let’s say an artist, “The Regional Buzz” performs and then records "Bounce it Baby Girl” which was written by “Big-Producer-Mayne.” After the artist “Regional Buzz” gets permission, clearance, and a license from “Big-Producer-Mayne,” if “Regional Buzz” wants to submit the recording for copyright registration, Form SR should be used.

VERY IMPORTANT NOTES:

q If you are the owner of both the song composition, and the sound recording of the particular song, you can just use Copyright Form SR to register both of these separate elements as one registration. This is sometimes normal when it comes to producers who write their own music and then record it as a production.

q Sounds accompanying a motion picture or other audiovisual work should not be registered on Form SR.

q You may also file multiple songs as a collection of songs.[img][/img]
Back to top Go down
http://www.irepkc.com
J-Fish
Aspiring Talent
Aspiring Talent
J-Fish

COPYRIGHTING MUSIC Empty
PostSubject: Re: COPYRIGHTING MUSIC   COPYRIGHTING MUSIC EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 6:38 pm

That really Helpful Thats The reason I havent Put anything out for real but some people heard my stuff and tell me i should get it on underground heat i jus need someone to help me go in the right direction so i can get these things out and KC hype about my Music
Back to top Go down
http:// www.myspace.com/jfishteamswagg

COPYRIGHTING MUSIC
Page 1 of 1